Terra cotta is, without a doubt, the best pot for snake plant. It lets the snake plant root system breathe with ease. Also, they help keep excess water from building up, preventing root rot.
Snake plants generally become prone to root rot, something fatal to it. Thus, the pot size or material you pick matters a lot.
Further, if you’ve got the proper pot material, your snake plants will thrive and be healthy. Apart from terracotta, several other snake plant pots exist. So, continue reading to see different suitable pots for snake plants.
The Best Snake Plant Pot
1. Best Foam Pots For Snake Plants
- - SELF WATERING. You don't have to water the plants every day, it can store enough water for a week or more, and it's easier to grow.
- - INCLUDING 4 QUARTS OF COCONUT COIR SOIL. Each coconut coil disk becomes a 1 quart of fluffy plant fiber after using 0.5 quart of water. There is very little nutrients in the fiber soil, so it is best to add some fertilizer After adding water to expand it, so that it can be used for a long time, just add some fertilizer at the right time.
- - BETTER THAN SOIL. The coconut coir soil is made of coconut shell. At the same time, it has good water retention, gas permeability and stable pH, so it is better than soil. Suitable for planting a variety of flowers, plants, vegetables, African violets and seedlings.
- - EASY TO OBSERVE. The water level indicator allows you to observe the water level at any time. Once the water level is below or close to the minimum water level, you can consider pouring water into the pot. There is a special water injection port for easy water injection.
- - STYLISH AND SIMPLE APPEARANCE. It can be used in a variety of environments, whether it is for home, apartment, office, desktop, outdoor or indoor, it will complement your home environment.
Foam pots for snake plants have plastic chemicals. For example, they’ve got polyurethane and polyethylene in their makeup. Moreover, these foam pots for indoor plants are available in different grades. The grades vary from thin to thick.
The polyurethane material has better insulation qualities than other foam materials. Also, pots with polyurethane in their makeup can sit outdoors over summer or winter. The foam above materials can create a snake plant pot that looks pleasing.
Even better, they produce pots that look good, just like the terra cotta pots. Also, every manufacturer makes these pots into several small runs of:
Moreover, these foam pots for snake plants have an excellent weight-to-strength ratio. Unfortunately, cheaper foam pot options need both strength and weight.
The best pot for snake plant made of foam is this 7-inch self-watering pot. Why? This foam pot with foam material is perfect for a snake plant. Each comes with a drainage hole and self-watering capabilities. Thus, you won’t stress about poor drainage or underwatering, or overwatering.
Further, this snake plant pot is lightweight. Thus, making it straightforward to hang your snake plants.
Also, this self-watering snake plant pot has a fabulous shape. Therefore, they match everyone’s taste.
Apart from the latter, this snake plant pot is straightforward to use. Elsewhere, your succulents or snake plants can enjoy the following:
- Direct sunlight
- Indirect light
- Adequate potting soil
- Adequate water
Finally, these pot type needs watering once every week. It’s durable, too, making it a perfect pot for your mother-in-law’s tongue.
2. Best Stone Pot For Snake Plants
- Perfect Planter to Accentuate your Interior or Exterior Décor
- Lightweight and Made with a Superior Blend of Plastics and Stone
- Water Minder Reservoir Hydrates Plants as Needed
- Clean, Modern, One-of-A-Kind Design
- Dimensions: 12" x 12" x 12"
Stone pots have always been perfect for housing snake plants or other indoor plants. They’re available in different shapes and sizes, making them appealing.
Telling if these pots come from natural stone or other materials is challenging. In most instances, natural stones are expensive and heavy. But fortunately, these snake plant pots offer several appealing designs.
Naturally, snake plant pots with stone materials are always durable. Unfortunately, these natural stone pots break when they drop. The good thing is that fiberglass and limestone pots for snake plants are durable.
On the downside, these pots for snake plants have inadequate drainage capacity. Other than that, this snake plant pot size is enough.
The best stone pot for snake plants is the ArtStone Novelty pot. Why? Its dark but charcoal grey color looks fantastic for snake plants. Further, their beautiful appeal makes these pots perfect for outdoor/indoor use.
Elsewhere, these tone pots have a similar look to travertine. Also, their tiny wisps make them look expensive.
Thus, this stone pot for snake plants gives you or any gardener value for money.
3. Best Ceramic Pots for a Snake Plant
- CERAMIC WITH GOLD AND GREY DETAILING - This set of eccentric planters is a statement piece for all homes. Created with sturdy ceramic and painted beautifully with gold and grey, these planters are not only breathtaking to look at but amazingly functional as well.
- DIFFERENT SIZES AND SHAPE - Each set comes two different pieces but partly utilizes the same gold color so it harmonizes just perfectly. The larger, cylindrical shaped planter is ideal for taller plants and the smaller, asymmetrical piece is designed for your smaller plants.
- DIMENSION - Grey--10’’ D x 8.9’’H; Gold--8.1’’ D x 7.7’’H. Plants are not included.
- INDOOR AND OUTDOOR USE - These planters are versatile and unique that could match your modern home décor inside and outside on the patio as well.
- 100% SATISFACTION - 24/7 customer service and full refund & return guaranteed if any problem upon receiving the product
Each ceramic pot has permanently hardened clay in its makeup. Manufacturers set this clay material using heat. Further, these ceramic snake plant pots turn porous when you unglaze them.
Elsewhere, these unglazed ceramic pots have sides that allow air and water movement. Often, I recommend these ceramic pots if:
- You’ve got snake plants that need dry potting soil.
- Or if you have extra heavy hands in watering your snake plants.
As for glazed ceramic pots, they never dry faster and aren’t porous. Unfortunately, their material being unporous makes air circulating complicated from its sides.
Also, a ceramic pot is heavy and thick. But on the downside, a ceramic pot can be costly.
The best ceramic pot for snake plants is the La Jolie Muse Pot. It’s large and lovely, making it perfect for different home decor. The good thing is that this snake plant pot will cost you less. And that’s despite its high-quality material.
Moreover, this La Jolie pot can house both tiny and large Rex Begonias.
4. Best Terra Cotta Pots for Snake Plant
- ★ 【DIMENSIONS】 Perfect size pots where you can fit different plants such as herbs, succulents, small cactus, flowers and much more. Planters size: 5.5*5.5*4.7 inches(L*W*H), Trays size: 4.9*4.9*1 inches(L*W*H).
- ★ 【SAFE PACKAGED】 Baked at 1050℃ high temperature, each flower pot has excellent durability and crack resistance, lightweight and beautiful. All packages came well-packaged and passed the 3 foot drop test to ensure the basin remained intact during the delivery process.
- ★ 【PREMIUM QUALITY】 Made of Top-Quality clay, air and water can pass through walls more easily.It's great for Cactus, Succulents, and other plants that prefer drier soil.At the same time, it is also suitable for colder climates. The walls of the pots draw the water out of the soil to help the soil dry quicker.
- ★ 【DRAIN HOLE AND SAUCER】 Each ceramic pottery planter has a small drain hole at the bottom. Juicy, cactus, herbs or other plants thrive in well-drained clay pots and add porous soil to achieve ultimate plant comfort and growth.The Saucer works perfectly with flower pots and is the perfect option for protecting your floors and decking from water and dirt.
- ★ 【100% SATISFACTION】We provide full refunds and returns if there’s any problem after receiving the product.
A clay or terra cotta pot contains clay in its makeup. Moreover, they’re unglazed ceramic pots. You can buy this snake plant pot in a reddish brown-earthy color.
At the same time, these pot types are available as pots/planters in different shapes or sizes. Also, you can get this snake plant pot at an affordable price, adding to its fantastic appeal.
The best terracotta pot for a snake plant is the Yishang pot. Why? It has a saucer, and it’s shallow, too, hacking it for snake plant roots. These unglazed clay pots prevent your snake plants from root rot.
Further, this Yishang pot makes moving your snake plant straightforward. Then again, these snake plant pots help dry the potting soil faster.
Because of that, your succulents or snake plants will look pretty. Moreover, the plant pot comes with stickers to protect the saucer.
This snake plant pot has elements preventing your soil from scuttering when watering.
5. Best Fiberglass and Resin Pot for Snake Plant
- ✅ THE IDEAL POT FOR YOUR PLANTS – Each 10 inch plant pot is perfect for storing your indoor and outdoor large-sized plants. The outer diameter measures 10 inches and the height is 9.5 inches, making it a great choice for your greenery.
- ✅ HAND-MADE FROM LIGHTWEIGHT AND DURABLE MATERIALS – Our white pots for indoor plants are made from fiberstone, making them 70% lighter than ceramic or concrete. The material is also frost and UV resistant, making it suitable for indoor and outdoor use.
- ✅ INNOVATIVE DRAINAGE DESIGN – The 10 inch planters come with a removable plug and a convenient drainage hole, allowing excess water to flow out and keeping your plants hydrated and well fed.
- ✅ MODERN AND ELEGANT DESIGN – The white planters for indoor plants add a clean and modern look to your home or office, making your favorite plant a work of art and a talking piece. The 10 inch pots for plants indoor are well-crafted and sturdy, with a simple and beautiful design.
- ✅ LIFETIME WARRANTY – Our white plant pots come with a hassle-free lifetime warranty, ensuring you can add some fresh green and good vibes to your home with peace of mind. If the indoor and outdoor planter breaks for any reason, you will receive a free replacement without any questions asked.
Among the newest and modern pot materials, Fiberglass is a notable option. Moreover, fiberglass manufacturers spun glasses to make fiber. And after turning the glass to make fiber, the manufacturers mix them with resin.
Mixing the two, fiber and resin, creates a solid but flexible composite. Then afterward, the manufacturers turn the Fiberglass and resin into a mold. And do you know why they do so?
Well, they do that to create different shapes and sizes.
The best fiberglass pot for a snake plant is the Fox & Fern pot. This snake plant pot is undoubtedly an excellent upgrade to any plastic or ceramic pot. I say so since it is more durable and pleasing than plastic pots.
Moreover, this pot for snake plants weighs less than a ceramic pot. Then again, this plant pot comes with a drip tray. This tray is essential since it maximizes your pot’s clean but straightforward lines.
Also, the drip always nests seamlessly within it.
6. Best Plastic Pots for Indoor Snake Plant
- DURABLE & LIGHTWEIGHT - These containers are very durable & lightweight. This makes them great for flowers & plants both indoor & outdoor. These containers will not crack or color-fade over time.
- HELPS WITH EXCESS WATER - The contoured base of these pots helps protect plants from excess watering. The removable drain plug also helps promote proper drainage.
- TRADITIONAL DESIGN - Vibrant colors & a classic look allow this pot to fit into any indoor & outdoor setting. The rolled rim helps you to easily move the container, even when it is full of soil. It won't break or crack when lifting.
- GREAT FOR A VARIETY OF PLANTS - These planters come in several sizes and are great for houseplants, as well as outdoor plants. Use them to grow vegetable plants, ornamental plants, herbs, spices, succulents, and more. With a variety of size options, all of your planting needs are sure to be taken care of.
- DIMENSIONS - 8.25"x8.25"x6.75"
In 1907, this wonder material called plastic graced the global stage! Since then, there have been several plastic pots coming up each year. Moreover, manufacturers make plastic material from non-renewable resources.
Crude oil is a perfect example of such a source. True to the word, several plastic pots for a snake plant are available.
The best plastic pot for snake plants is the Caribbean planter. It perfectly suits any snake plant, whether small or large. This Caribbean pot for a snake plant is available in different sizes.
Even better, this snake pot has a fantastic design, suiting any home/office decor. Also, they lack drainage holes. Instead, it has a removable plug boosting air circulation and moisture retention.
7. Best Wood Pots for Indoor Snake Plants
- ✿PLANTER SET OF THREE :Beautiful Burnt Wood Finished flower pots with 3 different sizes for your unique design.
- ✿DRAINAGE HOLE PREDRILLED: No Assembling required at all! Planters come with predrilled drainage hole.
- ✿SIDE HANDLES INCLUDED: Thoughtful design with two metal handles on each planter for easy lifting and moving.
- ✿DURABLE CONSTRUCTION: Made of sturdy wood enclosed by metal frame with screws, long-lasting structure regardless for indoor or outdoor.
- ✿DIMENSION INFORMATION: Small 11.5"(Dia) x 9.8"(H); Medium 15.2"(Dia) x 11.4"(H); Large 18"(Dia) x 14"(H)
Wood pots have several natural materials in their makeup. Here are some of the materials making up wood pots:
A wood material like bamboo makes snake plant pots that are lightweight. You can cut planks and beams from such materials to make lumber. Unfortunately, treating the material is necessary after cutting them. And that’s for several months.
Treating the material boosts the snake plant pot’s strength and waterproofing.
The best wood pot for snake plants is the VINGLI pot. The pot is versatile and watertight, making it perfect for different plants. Also, this VINGLI wooden pot has rustic natural makeup. That makes it pleasing aesthetically.
Further, a wood barrel is a great indoor planter for a potted snake plant. Then again, it’s well-built for a calla Lilly. In short, the snake plant pot has effective moisture movement. All that’s possible since it has several drainage holes.
8. Best Metal Pots for A Snake Plant
- SELF WATERING & NO MORE ROOT ROT - The smart unique sub-irrigation system is one of the most appealing aspects among all Dexceder planters. The easy-to-use separated integrated water reservoir or catcher- keeps your soil well aerated and automatic supplies plants with the right amount of ongoing moist air & nutrition for optimal growth. The insert indicator shows you the exact time to water again. The full water supply period can single-handedly last over 3 weeks based on different live plants
- METALLIC MATTE PROCESS of AUTOMOBILE GRADE - The complex process vitalizes the new life to the pot differs from the traditional pot injected directly. Metallic Matte glaze finish with smooth texture gives a metal look to these decorative flower pots. Attention please, you will find a small detail that it is whole-body process, unlike other same size pots to save cost, there are no metallic matte process of the bottom of them. The perfect decor can help decrease obsessive-compulsive disorder
- INNER POT DESIGN EASY MAINTENANCE - Unlike other low-cost pots with inner mat inside, the removable inner basin (8.3" D, 5.9" Deep) with hidden handles can convenient plant replacement and prevent dirt into outer pot. The large interior is suitable for more plants, such as cactus, bulb, herbs, succulents, ivy, strawberry, triflora, pothos, orchids, nepenthes pitcher, spider plant, asparagus fern, African violet etc., it's especially friendly to those plants with long, big, tall or dense root
- NEVER MISS WATERING AGAIN - The hydroponic device keeps water ready, then watering time is at your discretion on the gauge. The design of drainage plug and spillway hole is to avoid cycles of overwatering and underwatering, pull out the plug to drain the excess water on rainy days outdoors. The sufficient water supply system enables double the water-efficient than conventional pots. Don't be anxious about missing watering while you enjoy a long term holiday on a journey or travel outside
- LONG LASTING VIBRANT COLORS & VIRTUALLY UNBREAKABLE - Be benefit of top-quality durable frost and UV resistant PP plastic with high-class metallic matte process, the fresh details show permanently with metal texture, no rusting, no peeling, no denting, keep durable longer that won't fade in direct sunlight
We’ve got different metal pot types in the market. But aluminum, copper, and zinc are the most common. As outdoor pots, metal planters rust over time under harsh weather.
For example, steel pots rust over time, developing a red hue. Such a rusting cycle may happen faster because of several outdoor elements. Such laments can be oxygen or moisture.
Again, a metal material isn’t porous. So, it would be helpful to drill some drain holes within the pot’s base. Doing so lets moisture exit the snake plant pot. Thus, creating adequate airflow.
The best metallic pot for snake plants is the Dexceder 9×8 inches pot. These snake plant pots perfectly suit medium-sized indoor plants. Thus, they work well with houseplants like snake plants.
Further, the indicator of this pot’s reservoir is easy-to-read. Also, with this snake plant pot, no overflows will happen. So, your snake plants will always be safe since no water damage will occur.
9. Best Concrete Pots for Snake Plants
- ELEGANT PLANTER WITH SOFT CURVES & VISIBLE PORES: Create a modern space using this long and high planter with soft rounded horizontal stripes along the rim, where the smooth lines and pure white finish are a hot trend in contemporary landscape designs
- IDEAL FOR SUCCULENT AND DELICATE PLANTS: The size is very generous and can hold a good amount of plants without looking crowded and great for plants that need room to grow
- HANDMADE AND ECO-FRIENDLY: This planter is handmade, crafted of lightweight concrete through a manufacturing process, has a drainage hole and a strong UV resistant ability that stays well in wind, rain, hot and cold season
- STRONG AND DURABLE: Made of concrete and weather-resistant fiberglass that have all the advantages of these materials, such as strength, durability, weather and damage resistance, and long-lasting color
- IDEAL SIZE FOR INDOOR AND OUTDOOR USE: The planter measures 11.6" Diameter x 13.3" Height and it makes a great addition to any apartment balcony or large backyard patio by standing out with its unique look
Producing concrete material for multiple uses involves mixing a cement paste with the following:
In industrial production, several chemicals harden and bind the above concrete. Here are several such industrial chemicals:
The best concrete pot for snake plants is the Kante Dia Round Pot. Its size and simplistic design make it a suitable snake plant pot. Together, these snake plant pots make beautiful little shade gardens.
Further, this Kante pot is lightweight even though it looks otherwise. Either, it doesn’t look cheap. Apart from a snake plant, this concrete pot is ideal for all Faux Ficus Pops.
8 Ways to Choose Snake Plant Pot
1. Size of Pot
So, what size pot for a spider plant? The best pot size for snake plants is usually one to two times larger than its root ball. But before you upgrade to a larger pot, check if your snake plants have tale signs of repotting needs.
2. Best Pot Material
So, what’s the best pot material for snake plants? The best pot material for snake plants is porous. Without a doubt, terracotta is the best pot material for snake plants.
But the terracotta pot should have some drainage holes.
Also, keep your snake plant from staying in standing water. And to ensure there’s adequate, use peat moss or orchid bark at its bottom. Do that before adding your potting soil.
3. Snake Plant Variety and Size of Plant
There are several snake plant varieties, namely dwarf and large. Here are some snake plant varieties:
Dwarf Varieties as follows:
- Trifasciata Hahnii
- Trifasciata Twisted Sister
- Kirkii Silver Blue
Large Varieties are as follows:
- Trifasciata prain
- Bacalar is
Therefore, by identifying their varieties, you can buy smaller or larger pots for your snake plants.
4. Proper Water Retention
Moisture retention is critical for continuing your snake plant’s life cycle for different generations. Thus, when picking a pot for your snake plant, choose one with a material that will retain more moisture.
5. Growth Rate of Plant
While choosing a pot for a snake plant based on its growth rate, a medium-sized pot that can fit its roots will be okay for the next 4 to 5 years until you repot it.
But, if you already have a mature large snake plant, you can buy an inch or two larger pots when you repot it.
6. Drainage System To prevent Root Rot
Proper drainage systems are essential for all plant pots. Moreover, a drainage system helps in getting rid of excess moisture outflow. So, if you’re a plant pot with an adequate drainage system, you’ll avoid root rot.
However, a snake plant doesn’t require lots of moisture. But it does need moisture to boost its growth/development.
7. Location Requirement
So, what’s the location requirement for snake plants? The best location for a snake plant is under shady corners.
Then again, snake plants like bright light areas. However, it’ll grow if your snake plant is in dark corners.
That means brighter corners will make your snake plant’s growth rate faster.
8. Temperature and Humidity
A snake plant will grow well enough at room temperature of 65-75 degrees Fahrenheit. That equates to 16 to 24 degrees Celsius. Moreover, snake plants tolerate temperature shifts. Unfortunately, they can’t handle extreme cold conditions.
Snake Plant Care: Short Guide
Cactus potting soil suits snake plants or other succulent plants pretty well. That’s so since that soil type drains well. Fortunately, you can prepare a customized potting mix by yourself.
It is best to moisturize your snake plants thoroughly and seldom. In short, those principles constitute the watering of snake plants. Water your snake plants thoroughly until moisture comes through the drainage hole.
That’s why getting pots with drain holes is critical. Once you’re done watering your snake plants, empty the saucer.
A snake plant doesn’t need sunlight for it to bloom or thrive. That’s why most offices decide to grow or pot them. Moreover, they do so since snake plants purify the air in the office.
They thrive well under different light levels, from low to high. Because of that, you can pot these snake plants in dark corners. Further, indirect sunlight hacks it for them.
As we’ve seen, snake plants thrive well under indirect light. But which temperature suits snake plants best?
50℉(10℃) is the best temperature range for a snake plant. It would be best to bring your snake plants inside in the cold winter months. But that’s if you stay in colder regions/areas.
Keep them away from heaters, drafts, and air conditioners indoors.
Do snake plants need fertilizer? Honestly, fertilizer isn’t necessary when potting a snake plant.
Moreover, this plant type has survived in poor, rocky soils. Thus, they aren’t hungry for extra fertilizer.
Snake Plant Propagation
Remove the snake plant from its pot with its root system still intact. You’ll need to break apart the tangled root ball. To do that, create several divisions containing three leaves and successive roots. Do so using a sharp knife.
Where Should You Place A Snake Plant?
A snake plant grows best indoors if there’s indirect sunlight. This plant type loves warm spots above 10℃ (50℉). Also, it would help to keep your snake plant away from heaters, air conditioners, and drafts.
You can keep your favorite snake plant outdoors in warmer areas. Significantly, these areas shouldn’t go below 10℃ (50℉) or above 35℃ (95℉) for extended periods.
A snake plant receives different light amounts. Moreover, it thrives/blooms in indirect/direct sunlight outdoors.
Are Terra Cotta Clay Pots the Best Pots for Snake Plants?
Indeed, we see terracotta clay as the best pot for snake plants. That’s so since they are a material that naturally dries. Moreover, most people regard terracotta pots as the best for:
- Snake plants
- Or other plant types that thrive in drier soils.
Unglazed vs. glazed terracotta pots
An unglazed terracotta pot is porous, making moisture evaporation easier. Also, the same terracotta pot prevents overwatering. Conversely, an unglazed terracotta pot prevents root rot and soil disease.
Typically, ceramic pot types are glazed. Thus, they’ll prevent the potting mix from drying out faster.
Do Snake Plants Need Deep Pots?
No. A snake plant’s roots grow outward first, then deep into the potting soil. Therefore, snake plants are only happy in shallow pots, not deep pots.
It would be best to buy snake plant pots with drainage holes. Or ones that you can create holes by yourself. Also, you’ll need shallow pots with saucers. Otherwise, moisture will mess up in your house or your working desk.
Empty the excess moisture immediately. Doing so prevents the snake plant roots from absorbing it.
Can snake plant grow in small pots?
The beauty of snake plants or succulents is that they never need frequent watering. Also, a snake plant can still grow in small pots. So, whenever you bump into a small pot you like, don’t hesitate to buy it.
Further, small snake plants and succulents are a perfect match for small pots!
Should you repot your snake plant?
It would be best to repot your snake plants when their root tops swirl or come out of the pot’s bottom. Another sign you must repot your snake plant is moisture outflowing via drainage holes.
That’ll mean your snake plants are root bound.
What is the best size pot for a snake plant?
A snake plant grows beyond 12 feet tall and 10 feet wide. So, having large enough pots are necessary to accommodate the plant. The best pot size for snake plants is an 18-inch diameter and a 24-inch depth.
Do snake plants like ceramic pots?
While a snake plant doesn’t need much water, it does need it to continue blooming/expanding. It would help to get a ceramic or terracotta pot with 1-2 drain holes for adequate moisture drainage.
That’s so since a snake plant blooms in potting well-aerated soil and drains freely.
Are clay pots good for snake plants?
A terracotta pot works well for a snake plant since it lets the potting soil dry easily, unlike plastic. Use well-draining soil. I recommend using a potting mix that suits succulents and cacti.
Such a potting mix resists oversaturation from moisture.
Does snake plant need pot with holes?
Generally, a snake plant needs drain holes to clear out excess water. Also, the drain holes help remove excess salt buildup in the potting soil. All that prevents root damage that can come from the following:
- Fertilizer burn
- Root rot from overwatering
Use a cache pot when you don’t find a snake plant pot with no drain holes.
Ultimately, I’ll be happy if you know how to pick the best pot for a snake plant. But if you’ve doubts about your current pot, replace it. Otherwise, your snake plants will continue experiencing root rot.
Fortunately, this snake plant pot guide helps you with that! So, please get a new pot for your snake plant to stay healthy.